Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

freetype.dll error when trying start the game /no solution helped

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
May 15, 2021, 1:01:28 PM

Hey, trying to start the game, but I am getting error "an issue related to freetype.dll". I tried every advice I found, nothing helped. 

I tried integrity check, 64-bit vcredist reinstall, reboot, renaming msvcr100.dll, windows update, etc. 

Specs:

Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550-Plus

16GB DDR 3600Mhz

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1160 Super OC 6G

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

Version: latest

Here is output_log https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MeU9Bko6-d3zPFzAh6DcKG7HxgvPKdQb/view?usp=sharing
Dxdiag https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LeZqrFKcdQng8JuTSU-SWOHJ1yWZDAKQ/view?usp=sharing

Any advice what else can I try? 

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 15, 2021, 4:59:31 PM

Perhaps worth a shot to search and download "freetype6.dll" for to reinstall it?

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 17, 2021, 12:22:05 PM

Like Jowany I have been dealing with the same Freetype.dll error. I recently reinstalled windows on my PC. Updated all the drivers and did all windows update. Reinstalled steam and reinstalled Endless Space 2 and got this "Endless Space 2 has detected an issue related to freetype.dll" I did everything above and even downloaded 2 slightly different versions of freetype.dll and replace the one in \Endless Space 2\EndlessSpace2_Data\Plugins with the ones I found online. Same error but for different reason. 

I was getting "Failed to load 'D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Space 2/EndlessSpace2_Data/Plugins/freetype6.dll' with error '%1 is not a valid Win32 application."
Now I get "

Failed to load 'D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Space 2/EndlessSpace2_Data/Plugins/freetype6.dll', expected x64 architecture, but was x86 architecture. You must recompile your plugin for x64 architecture" 

Which means the feetype6.dll I found online is the wrong kind but I can't find one that is 64 architecture. 
Deleting the file and doing verify file integrity will redownload freetype6.dll and get me back to getting the error %1 is not a valid win32 application.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 17, 2021, 5:01:30 PM

@Thedreadedit

Just guessing, do you have the 32 bit - instead of the 64 bit Endless Space 2 version installed?

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 17, 2021, 8:58:08 PM

Task manager shows Platform 64 when I run EndlessSpace2.exe and compatibility mode only lists Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 for EndlessSpace2.exe so pretty sure I have the 64 bit version installed. I am not sure how to tell steam to install the 32 bit version but if there is a way to do that then while the game would be slower it may at least be playable.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 18, 2021, 1:50:59 PM

Fixed the problem. https://github.com/ubawurinna/freetype-windows-binaries/tree/master/release%20dll/win64 download the freetype.dll from here. Rename it to freetype6.dll and paste it into Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Space 2\EndlessSpace2_Data\Plugins overwrite the file that is there. I suggest saving an extra copy of the dll somewhere else, because if you have to verify file integrity for endless space 2 at some point the bad dll that comes with the game will replace this one that works and the problem will come back. 

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 18, 2021, 2:18:07 PM

Sweet. Thanks for posting your solution.

0Send private message
0Send private message
a month ago
Mar 27, 2024, 8:17:48 AM

Reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable didn't help fixing an issue related to freetype.dll. But installing 2010, 2012 and 2013 versions did! Just find them on microsoft website (my guess it's vcredist 2010 that important). 

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message